Henrik Thostrup Jensen

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A sure sign of... whatever

I'm not sure, but this might be proof that we have too much money in the western world. It could also be a sign that our culture is somehow degenerating. It might also be a joke.

Anyway back to the first part. We need to get money from the western world and into the "third world" asap. We have so much, and they so little. I'm not really into world economics, but here is my "three point checklist" on how to save the world day by day:

1. Buy "stuff" from countries that are poor.
2. Join a charity organization, e.g., Red Cross, Amnesty, Medecins sans Frontieres.
3. Visit a country outside the western world.

Number three is actually my favorite. Not only will you generate revenue in the country, you get to decide where. Also important, it will force you to experience how people and culture outside the western world is living. I was in Kenya and Zanzibar this summer, and while I was definitely visiting turist places, it still opened my eyes for how poor people actually could be.

I'm not suggesting that you drop what you have in your hands and go traveling. Neither that you should give away all that you own. All I ask, is that you give a little and try to look beyond your nose, the borders of your country, and your culture.

PS. This is not a critisism of the site in question (by all means, go buy lucky charms for your dog), but just the thoughts it started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home